Thursday, August 18, 2011

Knitting

I love to make things - sewing, knitting, crochet.  I have met several women here who like to make things as well, mostly crochet.  They make some things but yarn is expensive and a luxury item for poor families.  I've thought about trying to get ladies together for a little crochet group/bible study but my language skills are lacking and if they started to share things I would have no idea what they are saying.  Some friends from New Jersey came this week and one of them (Terry) brought some knitting looms to share with the local women.  After talking and throwing out ideas we decided to invite some ladies over and teach them how to knit so they can make things and sell them to provide a small income for their families if they want.  We did and it was a great time!! We had a translater so we were able to know what everyone was saying.  It was such an amazing time for them that I can't not do it again so I decided to have them over every week with a translater.  I have this great little devotional book called "Jesus Calling" and I ordered one in Spanish awhile back.  In wondering how I can read the bible with them, this book came to mind.  It's perfect because I can give one to each of them to read during the week and I will know what they are reading because I will be reading the same thing.  I would love to provide each lady a book ($9) and yarn.  If you would like to help with the cost, please e-mail me and I can tell you how.  :)


2 comments:

  1. Holly that is so great. What a creative idea to reach those ladies for Christ. It's so awesome to watch Him open doors to accomplish His purposes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly, so glad you are enjoying Guate and especially interacting with the ladies. I love those little looms.. Milan makes hats with his.

    It is a blessing that your boys will learn the language and be able to communicate quickly. Kids are sponges!

    Go for it! Miss you, love you and so glad the yarn is coming in handy!
    xo kat

    ReplyDelete